Thursday, April 5, 2007

Snowboarding

Everyone has a passion in life. Whether they realize it or not. Some people who you ask will say "Nothing" but then all you have to do is ask them about their family. They get this twinkle in their eye, their voice rises in pitch, and their body posture opens up. This is how I define passion. It has little to do with the thing that you are passionate about and everything to do with how that thing affect you. Its the quickest way to identify heterogeneity in our increasingly homogenous society. Just look at our automobiles! If the cars that people drive serve as any kind of indicators of their personality, its amazing to see the relative lack of creativity....but after all, it is simply transportation.

My passion is snowboarding. Yes, I know. Childs Play. I have to grow up 0ne of these days and take on responsiblity and start a family and all that stuff but c'mon...everyone has their poison. For me, this is what it is. Those who have tried the sport and don't feel addicted to it amaze me. I just don't see how you can't fall in love with this sport. There is no feeling in the world like laying down a nice toeside carve at high speed in fresh, untracked powder. Absolutely nothing in the world like it! Geez I get that silly feeling in my stomach just thinking about it. Then there's air. How many sports give you the freedom to throw yourself off of a jump and go 30+ feet in the air. And once you try it, its really not that scary or dangerous all. I know what you're thinking..."Oh boy, he's one of those Type A personalities" Well maybe I am but let me tell you. This is relaxing. It is freedom. This kind of feeling is probably what a man who was freed from slavery felt like in his first day out of chains. Its the feeling that a newborn probably gets as soon as he comes out of the womb. Snowboarding is this kind of feeling. If you don't believe me, just try it for yourself.

So yeah, call me selfish but I'm not an environmentalist because I care about Mother Nature or natural resources or any of that other BS. Its primarily because our carbon dioxide and free radical emissions are the cause of global warming. And global warming makes it more difficult to snowboard!!!! So someone needs to come out with a four wheel drive hybrid Prius one of these days so I can conserve my way up to the hills.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Its the quickest way to identify heterogeneity in our increasingly homogenous society." So when you get to know people, you ask them about their family? \Varun