Thursday, April 5, 2007

Support

Support is an important thing to have in one's life. Support comes in all sorts of forms; a wife, a friend, a teacher, an idol, God, and sometimes even someone you don't know all that well. I once had a friend tell me something that rings in my ear till this day. We were sitting in a taxicab in Bangkok in the middle of the night, having seen a rather rough part of the city with all these underage prostitutes (sad state of affairs really). We get back in the car and he says to me, "You may not be something to everyone, but you will be everything to someone". I mention this because that someone, to whom we are lucky enough to be "everything" to, is likely a source of support for us. Life is tough. All these responsibilities just keep piling on and memories of the days of yore, riding powder through the trees on some random mountain plague the mind like the carrot in front of the donkey. To survive this, we all need support in one way, shape, or form.

Spirituality then, is a rather abstract form of support. Think about it; its always there. We can always close our eyes and pray to something that makes us feel better. By the way, if you haven't tried this, please give it a shot. Praying is almost as cool as a Bluebird day with 28 inches of freshies in Vail, Colorado. I'm not sure what this thing is that we "pray" to. Honestly, I'm not even sure exactly what it means to pray. All I know is that if I feel bad about something, I can always take 5 minutes and try to think about nothing. Yes nothing...which is much harder than it sounds. Everytime I try this, I can usually make it about 1.5 to 2 minutes or so and then my mind starts thinking about snowboarding or economics or something. But that short period of time has quite a positive effect. At the end I say or think "God, you rock." And that's it. Nine times out of ten, I'll feel much better.

No comments: